ST. LOUIS, July 23, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Charter Communications, in agreement with NBCUniversal, today announced a multiplatform content offering for NBCUniversal's coverage of the 2012 London Summer Olympic Games to commence on Wednesday, July 25 through Sunday, August 12. Designed to provide video customers with access to more than 4,523 hours of NBCUniversal's unprecedented Olympic programming, this offering represents the largest number of total Olympics hours ever. Charter will offer NBCUniversal's Olympic content live and on-demand, across multiple digital, mobile and tablet platforms.
"We are thrilled to bring our customers NBCUniversal's around-the-clock, multiplatform coverage of the 2012 London Olympics," said Allan Samson, Charter Senior Vice President, Marketing. "Access to NBCUniversal's Olympic programming via Charter On Demand, high speed Internet services and crystal-clear HD, is as close to physically being at each event in London as you can get."
In addition to extensive coverage on the networks of NBCUniversal, including NBC, NBC Sports Network, MSNBC, CNBC, Bravo and Telemundo, Charter customers can stay connected to the London Summer Olympic Games wherever they go exclusively via NBCOlympics.com, and the NBC Olympics and NBC Olympics Live Extra apps via mobile and tablet devices.
As part of a Charter customer's video subscription, NBCUniversal is bringing Olympic content to them live and on-demand, online, and on mobile and tablet devices via applications.
Following are multiplatform offerings that will allow Charter customers to watch and be a part of the 2012 London Olympic Summer Games, including live streaming, VOD, mobile and tablet apps.
NBCUniversal's Olympics Experience on Charter Includes:
- NBCOlympics.com: NBC Olympics Live Extra, the exclusive home of Olympic live stream content at NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra, is available now to verified customers who subscribe to a package that includes CNBC and MSNBC and who sign-in. NBCOlympics.com will live stream more than 3,500 total programming hours from NBCUniversal networks, including NBC Sports Network, MSNBC, CNBC and Bravo, for the first time ever so that Charter customers can easily verify their subscriptions and watch Olympic coverage live online at no additional charge. Customers who sign in and verify their subscriptions by Friday, July 27 can enter the NBC Olympics Live Extra Sweepstakes for a chance to win a trip to the US Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, an HDTV, and other prizes, courtesy of NBCUniversal. Charter customers should follow these verification procedures to access Olympic programming via NBCOlympics.com:
1. Go to NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra
2. Click the "Click here & Get Ready" button
3. Select Charter
4. Enter the username and password that corresponds with your Charter account
5. You are signed in throughout the Games on that device!
- Mobile and Tablet Apps: NBCUniversal will offer two apps for mobile and tablet viewing. The NBC Olympics Live Extra app will be available to verified Charter customers and will offer the same live streaming and event replays available via NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra. The NBC Olympics app will include short-form highlights, schedules, results, columns and more and will also link to the NBC Olympics Live Extra app.
- On Demand: NBCUniversal is making Olympic highlights and full-event rewinds available via Charter's Video-On-Demand service. See U.S. athletes compete in Diving, Gymnastics, Swimming, and Track & Field with over 100 highlights covering the U.S. Trials.
Pre-Games: Viewers can access more than 120, 4-8 minute clips available in SD and HD.
In Games: NBCU will offer more than 550 highlight clips, in addition to 240 full-length event replays, available within 24 hours of the event completion, all in HD and SD.
The 2012 London Olympic Summer Games will run throughout 19 unforgettable days and nights, covering every sport, medal, champion and riveting moment. For more information, visit www.NBCOlympics.com or Charter.net/NBClondongames
About NBC Olympics
A division of the NBC Sports Group, NBC Olympics is responsible for producing, programming and promoting NBCUniversal's Olympic coverage. It is renowned for its unsurpassed Olympic heritage, award-winning production, and ability to aggregate the largest audiences in U.S. television history.
Having produced every Summer Olympics since Seoul in 1988 and every Winter Olympics since Salt Lake City in 2002, the networks of NBCUniversal are synonymous with the Games in the United States. In 2011, NBCUniversal acquired the U.S. media rights on all platforms to the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics, the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics, and the 2020 Summer Olympics. At the conclusion of the 2020 Games, NBCUniversal will have presented 17 total Olympic Games and 11 consecutive, the most for a U.S. media company in both categories.
NBC has won an unprecedented 91 Emmy Awards for its Olympics coverage, as well as a prestigious Peabody Award for its presentation of the Beijing Opening Ceremony in 2008, which USA Today said was "the best overall Olympic experience ever provided by a U.S. network."
In addition to its unsurpassed heritage and award-winning production, NBCUniversal is known for aggregating large Olympic audiences, as nine of the top 11 most-watched U.S. television events of all time are Olympic Games presented across the networks of NBCUniversal. The Beijing Summer Olympics rank No. 1 with 215 million viewers.
Charter (NASDAQ: CHTR) is a leading broadband communications company and the fourth-largest cable operator in the United States. Charter provides a full range of advanced broadband services, including advanced Charter TV® video entertainment programming, Charter Internet® access, and Charter Phone®. Charter Business® similarly provides scalable, tailored, and cost-effective broadband communications solutions to business organizations, such as business-to-business Internet access, data networking, business telephone, video and music entertainment services, and wireless backhaul. Charter's advertising sales and production services are sold under the Charter Media® brand. More information about Charter can be found at charter.com.
SOURCE Charter Communications
Anita Lamont, Charter, +1-314-543-2215, email@example.com; or Alyssa Corcoran, +1-201-735-3568, Alyssa.Corcoran@nbcuni.com, or Christine Reisner, +1-201-735-3637, Christine.Reisner@nbcuni.com, NBCUniversal Content Distribution